Pausing In The Moment!


This has to be one of my favorite parts about Running My Race. Pausing in the moment and reaching out to others. Today I had the privilege of celebrating our friends 30th birthday, not with a cake and a party but rather by serving those in our community who are in need.

The warehouse that stores the food for this actual food bank was huge. Boxes and boxes of food stored all the way up to the ceiling. The gentleman that was helping us was someone who had just left the gated community. He had a smile written all over his face that just said, "someone believed in me!" I got to spend someone time with him, he shared how he had been homeless upon his release, and thanks to certain programs, and he was able to get back onto his feet.

As he continued to share, I couldn't help but think about how many lives could be touched by his story. How many people in the community need to see someone who is making it because of the way others had chosen to step in and reach out. I wanted others to see his incredible contagious smile. I shared with him about the call I had on my life as well as that of the group of people I hang with and I asked if he would be willing to share his story with the group sometime. And with a grin that said thank you, he answered with an enthusiastic yes.

The morning came to and end, food was boxed oranges were sorted and relationships were built. We all gathered around for a simple prayer of thanksgiving and then took this photo. I walked away with a grateful heart and a deeper understanding of the call to make the most of every opportunity to give the reason why we have hope.

I pray that when Ralph looks back on his 30th birthday that he will remember it with a smile and know that he is writing a great story and running a wonderful race.

Cris Nole

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This brought a tear to my eye! It is amazing what we can do to help others if we just put forth a little effort! Thank you for sharing this beautiful story!

-Alisa Hope