Common Sense.....



The Son who got us out of the pit we were in, got rid of the sins we were doomed to keep repeating. We preach Christ, warning people not to add to the Message. We teach in a spirit of profound common sense so that we can bring each person to maturity. To be mature is to be basic. Christ! No more, no less.
(Colossians 1:14, 28 MSG)




As the written warning on a cup of hot coffee bought at a drive through, drink is hot, you can be burned. We know that warning had been placed on the cup because someone was burned. Even though common sense would tell you that if, you purchase hot coffee it will be hot. With that said, I believe Paul was warning the people because the adding to the message was happening. In doing so, it was becoming a message only for the elite of the religious systems of the time. When in fact the message was sent for everyone to receive not based on bloodline, education or works. Profound common sense from the spirit so that all persons can be brought to maturity. This kind of maturity is basic, no frills or fanfare just Jesus, no more no less. 

I believe to be boldly basic I have to start with my heart. The birthing place of my pride if I am not careful. Profound common sense is an amazing gift that wins over the educated of this world. When someone with book knowledge is confronted with someone with the spirit of profound common sense, they become frustrated with the fact that they cannot change the other persons thinking or even understand it themselves. Today I will tattoo the words boldly basic and profound common sense on my mind as a reminder of what I have been called to do and be. I will not run away from educating myself but it will not be in my education that I will find what I am looking for.

Dear Lord,
I thank you for this message and reminder of how your spirit works. I thank you that you continue to teach me your ways through these quiet moments of my day. I will choose to rejoice in being basic and I will hold tightly to the spirit of profound common sense; this is who you have made me to be. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen! I once attended regular church services for years and years. I never missed a service. But my soul wasn't being fed and I became withered and confused. Why do I love thee Lord but hate the temple of your people? Because, the simplicity of the word had been lost in the politics and man's agenda. So, I took a step back, left the church, and found my Jesus in the quiet spirit of my essence, where He was all along. Now, I'm starting over and will return to the right church at the right time. But first, I feel like I need to find the simplicity of His word and understand it with the heart of a child.

Chaplain Cris Nole said...

I love how you found Jesus in the quiet spirit of your essence, and yes HE was there all along. So happy for you.

Cris